Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Feeding my Soul





Squash, black beans, onions and bell peppers--this is soul feeding food for me
                           
I'm a care giver, by profession, as mother and wife, as a friend and every person in between.  Somewhere in the shuffle of feeding, lending a helping hand, transporting, and loving, I forget to do one very important thing:  Take care of me.  I don't make time to do things that feed my body, mind & soul.

 I'm not sure if I do this because there just never seems to be enough (time, energy, care) after giving to other or if it's because I'm better at giving than receiving?  It could have something to do with the fact that I feel selfish putting my needs before the needs of other, no matter how many times my husband tells me "If you don't take care you, who will take care of us?"  I just feel guilty when I make myself the priority.  I need to get over that.  Now!

So now I need to figure out what I need in order to feed myself well.  I'm not just talking food here.  In order to be alive, awake, alert & enthusiastic what elements are required?  What is the magic potion that will put a spring back into my step, the shine in my hair and song to my laughter?.  How will I create more hours in my already busy day? 

It is time to ask the hard questions,  what brings me joy?  what do I love?  what do I need? Do I find joy in the smiles of those I love or is it found when I feel their arms wrapped around me.  Is it feeling nature kiss my cheeks as I move my body to the beat of my heartsong or is it having dirt covered toes that I love?  Do I need to be challenging myself and eating foods that speak to me in a sound that only I can hear when I'm really in tune with my true self? 

The hardest part is providing myself these joy makers, passion filled need.  Will I be more present to notice and feel the love that brings me joy.  Will I make the time to spend with nature and bury my toes in deep so I can hear my heartsong?  What will I do to challenge myself?  What food speak to me in a healthful way?  Who is up for this challenge?  Me?.

No comments:

Post a Comment