Thursday, February 7, 2013

Taking the Plunge

Picture it: Early summer.  A group of freshly graduated high school students. A really big water park.  Even bigger hair.  A water slide called "The Plunge".  Nerves and fears being pushed to the limits.  I did it.  I climbed all those stairs (there had to be a few million of them) to the tippy top of the world laid down, crossed my arms over my chest and slide over the edge feet first.  Within moments, I found myself back on Earth--no worse for the wear. 

Looking back, I have no idea how I did it.  I don't know how I got talked into it.  I don't know why.  Something over took my brain that day and convinced me--someone who is afraid of heights and does not like the feeling of falling--that I should give it a go. 

I guess I have taken all kind of scary impossible plunges after that day.  I think what has gotten me through those moments is feeling good about who I am.  I know on that day so many year ago I felt like I was on top of the world.  I was proud of all that I had accomplished.  Nothing could stop me.  The risk was small after all. 

I took a plunge the other day.  Someone convinced me that stepping outside of my comfort zone could be safe and fun.  I love myself all the more because I was able to see myself differently than I ever have before.  What I saw was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment