Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Word & To Do List

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 I have finally gotten around to attempting to post my word and goals. Sorry for all of you who have been waiting at the edge of your seats and holding your breath in anticipation of this wondrous event.

To recap--the past couple of years, I have found a word that I hope to reflect the up coming year. Last year was possibility and oh,the possibilities of possibilities that I did not think of happening with this vast word. So this year I am taking a different approach with my word. My word for 2011 is...

Simple

(here's the definition--you can scroll down and skip it if you'd like)
sim·ple   /ˈsɪmpəl/
[sim-puhl] Show IPA
adjective, -pler, -plest, noun
–adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.: a simple matter; simple tools.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain: a simple style.
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned: a simple gown.
4. unaffected; unassuming; modest: a simple manner.
5. not complicated: a simple design.
6. not complex or compound; single.
7. occurring or considered alone; mere; bare: the simple truth; a simple fact.
8. free of deceit or guile; sincere; unconditional: a frank, simple answer.
9. common or ordinary: a simple soldier.
10. not grand or sophisticated; unpretentious: a simple way of life.
11. humble or lowly: simple folk.
12. inconsequential or rudimentary.
13. unlearned; ignorant.
14. lacking mental acuteness or sense: a simple way of thinking.
15. unsophisticated; naive; credulous.
16. simpleminded.
17. Chemistry .
a. composed of only one substance or element: a simple substance.
b. not mixed.
18. Botany . not divided into parts: a simple leaf; a simple stem.
19. Zoology . not compound: a simple ascidian.
20. Music . uncompounded or without overtones; single: simple tone.
21. Grammar . having only the head without modifying elements included: The simple subject of “The dappled pony gazed over the fence” is “pony.” Compare complete ( def. 5 ) .
22. (of a verb tense) consisting of a main verb with no auxiliaries, as takes (simple present) or stood (simple past) ( opposed to compound).
23. Mathematics . linear ( def. 7 ) .
24. Optics . (of a lens) having two optical surfaces only.
–noun
25. an ignorant, foolish, or gullible person.
26. something simple, unmixed, or uncompounded.
27. simples, Textiles . cords for controlling the warp threads in forming the shed on draw-looms.
28. a person of humble origins; commoner.
29. an herb or other plant used for medicinal purposes: country simples.


OH MY GOSH! who would have thought such a simple word would have so many meanings. (I went ahead and boldfaced the definitions that I felt would be the best options for 2011.) Now many of you who know me well know that this word is going to be a challenge for me. Rarely do I do anything simple--in fact while considering this word after it was presented to me (thanks Scott B.) I had thought about simplistic or simplify and then I went NO JUST SIMPLE!

So this year, I am going to keep everything simple. (I'm doing good so far huh)

Here are my goals for 2011--

1. Weigh 11 pounds less by June 11, 2011 than I did on January 1, 2011
2. Read 11 books from my classic book list
3. Read all of the Harry Potter Books and see the movies
4. Complete the 2011 Eau Claire Half Marathon 11 minutes faster than last year
5. I will walk for exercise and only run when the need or desire occurs
6. Blog more
7. Breath

That's it--That's what you've all been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment