Monday, May 17, 2010

Athletic Apparel

A while back, I read somewhere that when you are beginning a new workout regime, in order to boost your self-esteem, you should fore go the sloppy sweats and baggy t-shirt and go out and get yourself new workout attire. You will look forward to putting on the new clothing {feeling good about yourself}therefore causing you to want to work out even more. Sounds good to me, any reason to buy new clothing, right?

So a while back (but not as long ago as I had read the article-cuz I read the article first) I went out in search of a new workout costume. Some of you may have read my Adventures in Swimwear story. This story is kind of like that one (but not as funny, more frustrated). I'm an epidemic. I'm part of the crowd that keeps making the news. I'm FAT! I live in Wisconsin for goodness sake--land of cheese, and brats and BEER! I should be able to walk into a store and find workout clothing in big girl sizes. But they are not there. So please tell me Athletic Apparel companies what am I to do? I wear my sloppy t-shirts and baggy sweats and feel slumpy and not pretty and no good (I really don't feel these things, I'm just adding drama to the blog).

Do the Nike, Champion, Columbia and whoever elses out there think that people over a size large really do not workout? I know after a certain point, Lycra does not look good, but I'm just saying--you would think that at least Wal-Mart would support it's people and get some circus tents for the love of lard.

I'm sure that someone out there makes Just My Size workout clothing(Delta Burke do you make workout clothing?) Am I just to lazy to look? Or just to busy working out in my scrubs to do it. I don't know. This was just the thought I'd been thinking and I thunked, I'd share.

I just found this little bit of a morsel that I'd thought I would share:

“Clothes Make The Man,” says a common English saying. The meaning is simple: what you wear decides who you are. After all, you don’t see any millionaires wearing old t-shirts do you? (I bet you do.) Another saying encourages people to “dress for success.” That simply means: wear the costume–wear the clothes people expect you to wear–and they’ll treat you the way you want.

I think I'm going to going to start pretending that I have the most amazing running kit on when I'm out there--or I'm going to start running naked and see if the Athletic Apparel people cowboy up and make some workout clothes for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stacy - Walmart DOES have larger sizes - I just saw "yoga pants" in sizes up to 5xl - Not sure about tops, but there are bottoms :) Look by the Danskin stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW!!! They must have heard me ranting when I was there last time. Currently I am not in need of 5xl yoga pants, but thank goodness they are looking out for the people of Wal-Mart. I have found some stuff there, it's just always the tops are a little tight for me in areas, but now that they have bigger sizes, I'll have to look again! Thanks

    ReplyDelete