Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Visit "Home"

I was at my most favortiest place in the world today. Camp Nawakwa. When I was a Girl Scout, I attended camp--then when I was entering Adulthood, I went back and worked there for 3 short summers--hard to believe my first summer was 15 years ago (someday I would love to work there again...ah, what a beautiful dream that would be)

I've been back to camp a few times here and there after I had worked there, but it has always been a quick little visit. Today I got to go back and help with camp kapers (which is a campy way of saying cleaning up the place) It was a-mazing. I can not describe the feeling I get as I'm driving there--the closer I get to the entrance, I get a feeling in my stomach and my heart and well just in my entire person and I can hardly contain myself. There is so much of every emotion as I grow closer to my "home". I'm excited, happy beyond belief, nostalgic, a touch sad, but mostly I think I feel love. With every turn and bend in the road, the feeling grow stronger. It is truly wonderful.

I got to clean up the kitchen, walk about camp, visit my favorite places, say hello to Mary, I was able to find my name on the Tenderfoot board, I felt the earth of Nawakwa on my bare feet, I smelled the trees, took in the beauty of Picnic Lake, and clean around tents and trails. I left my car windows open a little so I could take a little Nawakwa air home with me and saved a little water in bottle to enjoy later. I have dirt under my finger nails, leaf particles up my nose, mosquito bites galore and I am sore, sore, sore. I can't wait to do it again next year.

I've seen many posts on facebook about the weather today, there was a little bit of everything, rain, thunder & lightning, coolness & sun. While others were confused, I felt blessed. There is nothing better than the sound of thunder rolling through the hills and the peace I feel while working through big fat raindrops. Life just feel good under the canopy of trees.

I wore my ped-o-meter today--just for kicks, I put in about 6 miles today. I can only imagine how many miles I must have put on the 3 summers I worked there. What an amazing workout and a beautiful gym. I vow to use it more often. Too much time has lapsed since I have been home.

No comments:

Post a Comment