Thursday, July 30, 2009

The effect of Girls Weekend

So I was going to post a little about how I gained 2.2 pounds while way on my wonderful vacation, however something happened during the time I started to write and from now.

Many of you know how I have been toying with the idea of participating in the Half-Marathon in Chippewa Falls (Pure Water Days) on August 8. I sent an e-mail the following e-mail:


Mark;
I am considering participating in the Half Marathon for Pure Water Days
on August 8. I plan on walking the entire event and I am wondering if
walking is allowed. I have been "training" for a half marathon as one of my
"bucket list" items and figure it will take me around 4 hours to walk. I know
that most participants are runners, I was just hoping that a slow pace girl
like myself would be welcomed to achieve a goal. I was also wondering if
there is a way of getting a good map so I can try out the course before the
race day.
Thank you for your time

Stacy Leibrich
stacyleibrich@charter.net

Here is the response:

Hi Stacy,
The Half marathon is a running event so you would not be able to walk
it. The slowest runners in the past would be finishing about 2 hours ahead
of you. We would be unable to staff the aid stations for that length of
time. You could run the 4 mile event and do a run/walk if you had to, or you
could walk the 2 Mile Fit walk event. I have a map posted on the website.
Here is the link. http://www.chippewaymca.com/pure_water_days.shtml

Thanks...Mark

Why the hell do I have to be a rule follower? Why do I always have to make sure of everything? I should have just showed up at the event and walked and then they would have had to stay to staff the aid stations (that would more than likely be completely out of any aid that I may have needed). I am angry, or defeated or frustrated or maybe just a little bit mad at myself for doing what I did. Deflated. Maybe that's the right word.

This is the e-mail his responds prompted me to write:


Dear Paul;
I was not sure who to address this to, so I figured the guy at the top of the list is a good place to start.

I have participated in a few events and have such a great time. I look forward to being a part of more in the future.
I am a walker. I am the one who is fine with coming in last, running and my body just don't get along that well and I actually like the pace and the high that I achieve with my 15+ minute mile. I am proudly wearing the Tortoise & the Hare shirt and claiming my self titled Tortoise status. Maybe someday I will be learn to embraces running, however; for now, I will continue to slowly log my miles and eat everyone else's dust.

I was wondering if you have had the pleasure of meeting other people who love to walk long distances? I want to know if there are more individuals are there that want to participate in half-marathons and feel as though they can not or have been flat out told that the event is strictly for runners and that the amount of time it takes for a walk to complete the event is not possible due to staffing for aid. I want to know if there are more people like myself that have not had water to drink because it's all gone by the time they get to the drinking station.

Mostly I want to know if anyone has ever mentioned starting a walking club for walking enthusiasts and also wondering how someone would go about starting such group. I think that would be a fine partnership. A way to get people moving. People, like myself that just want to walk.

Stacy Leibrich

We'll see what kind of a respond I get from this one.

1 comment:

  1. This is my reply to Mark's e-mail

    Mark;

    Thank you for your reply. I will have to pass on the invitation to participate in any of your other events purely on morals.

    I am hoping in the future this event will welcome all types of athletes.

    Sincerely;

    Stacy Leibrich

    "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start"

    ReplyDelete