Saturday, January 26, 2013

+5 -5 +5more

Add 5
Break 5
Adopt 5 bonus

Not do bad for a diet Rx.  Fairly easy to do.  Most of the habits were things I had already put into place while on the white diet.  It almost seems too easy.  So easy that I have been second guessing myself.  There is so much information and contradiction that I reached out to others for expert advice (thanks Jenn).  It felt great when I was told I'm on the track that will take me to my destination.  I realized that it doesn't have to be a complicated magic formula at all.  It's basic, it's having a healthy foundation, it's filling your plate with "real" good food.

Add 5
Eat a healthy Breakfast. 
Eat fruits and vegetables (a lot of fruits and vegetables)
Eat whole grains
Eat healthy fats
Move at least 30 minutes every day.

For me, the adding was just a matter of swapping whole grains for the white foods I was eating--easy enough.  I was really excited because I was adding raw veggies and fruits to my menu.  And flavor with the ability to cook with coconut and olive oil.  Moving at least 30 minutes everyday is easy when you sneak it in here and there.  Adding is a success.  Check mark on all 5.  Gold star for me.

Break 5
No TV while eating (or computer or anything other than eating) and no more TV than exercise time
No sugar (only what's found in fruits)
No snacking unless it's fruits and veg
Moderate meat and low fat dairy
No eating at restaurants (unless you can find something that fits into the program)

Breaking one of the habits was much harder than the rest.  I had not been eating sugary treats while on the white diet, so that was something I was able to just keep going.  Snacking on fruits and veggies was a dream come true after having bread and rice chex as my option.  I have not incorporated dairy back into my diet because I think that is a food group I need to stay away from or I will end up white dieting again.  Eating only 3 oz of meat protein has been okay, too.    Having meals out has not been much of a challenge either.  I thought I would not like only being able to watch as much TV as my exercise time, but I found that I saved up time for my favorite programs and let the other ones go.  The hardest part is eating alone without doing something.  I have a hard time just eating.  I'm fine if the family is at the table with me, but I get so bored when I'm at the table alone. 

Adopt 5
Keep a record of everything you eat
Keep an activity record
Move More
Eat "Real Food"
Write your daily goals.

Adoption was easy for me.  I was recording my food and movement already and really adding another 1/2 hour after the first was okay too (plus then I could watch two of my favorite shows or one longer program) Eating real food--non processed.  has been easy too.  The challenge is actually writing down my goals for the day, I think them in my head, but I need to work on writing them down. 

So there you have it.  This is what has been keeping me busy over the last week or so.  If you want the down and dirty details.  you'll have to buy the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment