Saturday, January 26, 2013

Feeling Brave (but just a little)

I did something today that I have not done in a very long time.  I laced up my "new" skates and hit to the ice so Poppy and I could learn how to skate together.  It is a lot more work than I remember. 

Poppy took to the ice and like she'd been wearing blades her whole life.  Me, not so much.  I don't remember the blade being so thin.  The balance is so much different than I remember.  I made it around the ice track? (not sure what you would call Boyd Parks rink) twice.  With the help of a "walker" and my arches, calves, hips, back, and maybe even my teeth were aching.  With great defeat, I unlaced my boots and called it a day.

I didn't think of myself as a quitter.  I thought of it in the light that I tried.  And I will try again.  Soon.  I realized that it's okay to try something and not get it perfect the first time.  I realized that I did not want to push myself to point of injury and then not be able to do other activities. 

After I tucked the skates into the van, I walk around the parameter of the park for an hour and got one my Adopt 5 activities done while Poppy Moon skated her little heart out.  It was a good day.  There was even a little blood, sweat, but no tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment