Friday, June 12, 2009

What the hill?

This morning I got myself out of bed to get back into my early morning walking routine. I had not done it the past couple of morning due to one excuse or the other (at least I managed to work out in some way, shape, or form) Wednesday I claimed I did not want to get up and go walking on a fasting tummy and Thursday my legs hurt to bad???

I really missed my early morning walks. I love the alone time--that is how I recharge. I often forget that I need to go inward to balance myself. Sometimes I get so busy being "on" that I forget how much of an introvert I really am. My time in the morning allows me to take care of myself--give myself what I really need to function--I am better able to preform for everyone else when I take the time, no make the time, for me. It is so much better than that nap time "treat" I would give myself before to recharge (what a crock of pooh that kind of thinking is). Why did it take me so long to put that puzzle together?

Tomorrow I will be partaking in a family reunion--and like a lot of families--when we get together we like to eat together. I'm allowing myself a worry free day (a day of not keeping track) not think about the food as much as focusing on spending time with some very important people in my life. This does not mean I am going to go hog wild (I'm sure I will be somewhat calculating in my head and when I get home I will try to remember every little thing that went past my lips and writing it down in my food journal) I'm just going to be mindful of what I'm eating without going overboard (so that means I will not be eating 3 or 4 of Jodi's Special K Bars) but if she brings them, I will eat one. I think think the key for me in "food situations" is to remember to only take the things I only can get at special times. What I mean by that is I'm not going to eat potato salad tomorrow because that is something I can get rather often during this picnic season--but I don't always get to enjoy my Auntie Cheri's famous butterhorns, so I will have one, and enjoy the hell out of it. I'm going to make a Spinach & Strawberry Salad (with a Raspberry & Rhubarb Vinaigrette I bought at the farmers market--yum) to take along--that way I know there is a least one thing I can eat without worry (I'm sure someone will bring fruit salad and veg) I will also be taking along my trusty water bottle so I can make sure I get tons of the good stuff in as well. I think I am pretty much armed for a great day--and with all the laughs we love to share, I'm sure to get in a good ab work, too : o )

My Cousin Shelley (out of all the cousin Shelley's I have, she is my favorite cousin Shelley)is coming to stay with us tonight--I can't wait to see her and spend some extra time with her--get a head start on the abs--I wonder if she will be up for a morning walk with me--if nothing else, I'm going to take her to see our farmers market--she took me to the one in Madison last time I went to visit. (Open Air Art show tomorrow at Phoenix Park!!!)

I almost forgot to tie in the blog title. What the hill? This morning I decided to take a yet another new route--I went up a couple of really big hills (Folsom & Moulholt). As much as I feared them at the base of both of them, I really don't remember much more about them. I remember a time when I would have cheered and jumped up and down after "scaling" them--but now it just seems natural--and they don't appear to be the great beasts I once thought them to be, the hills have just become one more step to get me closer to one more mile. Another mile further on my journey.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go. And way to have a positive attitude about tomorrow's reunion.

    Question--how do you keep track of your miles--with a pedometer? I am green w/envy that you can walk. Keep it up. Someday I WILL be able to do the same and maybe even join you if you let me!

    ReplyDelete